Follow Vocab Voyage on RSS!

Monday, 2 February 2015

(Transcribed) 食料-本当の食料をメニューに取り戻す、最高そして最悪のスーパーボウル広告、発酵食品について教える使命を持つある女性

It's all about food today. Have a watch of the YouTube clip above. I will put the transcript and links to the articles up tomorrow. Try and note down what I say, and check back tomorrow. If you have any questions about idioms I use, post a comment.

You can also look at the original Food Vocab List and YouTube clip for more food vocab. For those who check the main article where I got the word from, this is one of the older lists where I used an article for each word. 

Good morning. Welcome to my Vocab Voyage for today. It's an awful day here in Otaru and Sapporo today. A howling wind. It's cold. I was walking the dog this morning and I was glad 
to be inside again. 
This morning we are talking about food. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. 
First thing, real food in the U.S. - and everywhere - there's a move to get back to real food; 
and the doctors and experts and dietitians are happy about it. Real foods? You've got your 
processed foods, they're going, and you've got your real foods, like your veggies, your fruits,your whole grains, and your lean proteins are coming back, which is Whole grains - brown 
bread. Processed - white bread. That kind of thing. 
So they offer a few hints as to what my dinner plate should look like. So you set up your 
dinner plate, you've got your dinner ready. It should be half vegetables. It should be quarter protein, that's your meat. Quarter - 25%. It should be quarter starch. That's your rice or your spuds, or your bread. Excellent.
They've got a few more hints. They're hints when you're shopping. Shop the perimeter. 
Shop round the outside of the supermarket. That's where all the fresh foods are kept. Not 
in the middle. Fill your cart with colour. Make sure your cart is full of colour. Red veggies, 
green veggies, yellow veggies. Lot's of different coloured capsicum. 
Make sure you've got enough protein. They don't endorse being a vegetarian. They say you need protein, and make sure it's lean. 
More fibre, less sugar.Sugar is the enemy, apparently. I haven't gone off it, but I know for a 
fact that my sister has sworn off sugar, pretty much. And my buddy Kurt, he's an advocate ofnot having any sugar; and they swear by it.
Last one, check the ingredients. Check what you're eating. Stuff like sugars and fats, they 
can be called lots of different names, so make sure you know. 
Next subject, a bit of fun. It's Super Bowl today. I don't know if it's on yet or if it's finished, butSuper Bowl ads - companies pay millions of dollars to put ads in the Super Bowl breaks. 
Some are good, some are bad. This article has got what they think are some good ones andsome bad ones. I have to say the best one, the lost dog one, is a knock off of a New Zealand ad - which I have put the link up to as well - which is far better. 
Last story. A little while ago I spoke about food trends, and that fermented foods were going to be big, and I had to say I didn't know any fermented foods except natto. Well I've found something which helps me help you know what fermented foods are. 
You've got a woman in the U.S., in New York, Queens, Tara Whitsitt. She has decided to 
become an evangelist, or a preacher, for fermented foods. She wants to spread the word. 
She drives round the U.S. in a bus that has a wood fire in it, making and teaching people 
about fermented foods. Probiotics? If I say probiotics Japanese people say Yakult. Yakult is a probiotic. It's the good stuff you put in your tummy which helps digestion and immunity. 
So what does she teach, this fermentation expert, this fermentation evangelist? She teacheshow to make sourdough. Now sourdough is bread where you keep the culture alive for a 
long time. When you want to make some bread you just break some off and it's always 
growing. The culture's alive for a long time. That's sourdough. 
A fermented dairy drink named kefir. I haven't heard of it, but people rave about it 
apparently. Tempeh, fermented soybean cake from 12th century Indonesia. 
Other cool stuff like Kolrabi Kimchi, fig cider, sauerkraut, kombucha (I think that's a 
Japanese word that they've written in romaji), and nukezuke which is Japanese also. 
I thank you.