Follow Vocab Voyage on RSS!

Wednesday, 4 February 2015

(with script) さっぽろ雪まつり-小規模で開始、今では世界的に有名、うみ・ほのか・ことり、ラーメンのソーシャルネットワークページ



Sorry about the crappy sound quality on the video today. I have to work out how to make the fan on my computer quieter, or make the microphone not listen to it. 

Sapporo Snow Festival. The Word list is here. The article I got the words from is here, and the YouTube Vocab clip is here. All coming at the best price of absolutely free until next month, when there will be a wee change in the set up. I will let you know very soon what the story with that will be. 

Transcript:

Good morning. Welcome to Vocab Voyage for this morning. If you like this video, give it an 
いいね! 
I'd like that very much. This morning we're talking about the Sapporo Snow Festival. It's on 
from February 5th to February 11th, so it starts tomorrow. It's at three venues, the main one being Odori, second one being Susukino where they do the ice, and the third one being out at Tsudome out in East Hokkaido (I said the wrong thing, I meant East Sapporo) where it's more a family orientated event, family friendly.
Let's talk about the snow festival. It began in 1950. It was postwar. It was cold, bleak winter. Noone was happy. They had a big pile of snow in Odori Park, that's where they dumped the snow. The council got together and they spoke to some students and their art teachers, and said, 'Hey. You guys make some nice sculptures and cheer everybody up. The art teachers and students did it. They had some dog races to go with it. They had some dance, some 
performance; and they had 50000 locals come along to check it out. Everyone liked it so 
much they decided to do it again the next year. Again everyone liked it so much, after that 
they said, 'Let's make this an annual event.' 
Speaking of annual events, this Saturday is my first annual mid-winter bbq. 
So, two years later it was an annual event. JETAI came into it from the 5th event, and they 
brought along 2500 soldiers, so you can imagine it got quite big after that. It went along 
swimmingly until 1974. The oil crisis caused some problems, having to move all that snow. 
There wasn't enough gas, so they filled up the inside of the sculptures with metal drums. It 
worked, but the snow wasn't so secure, so they were glad when it was over because they 
were afraid it was all going to fall over. 
In 1974 the snow festival also became international. They invited people from different 
countries to carve out snow sculptures of their culture. I know that Thailand has been there 
from the start. I imagine they're a bit chilly, because I don't think there's much snow in 
Thailand. 
In 1983 they began it in Susukino also, that's the ice sculptures. I didn't see it last year. I will go this year. Advantage to Susukino, when you're finished looking, it's closer to the pub for a beer. 
In 2013 2.4 million people came along to the Snow Festival. So that's the history. 
What about this year? Just very quickly - I'll go into it more over the month - but just very 
quickly, the next article is about anime girls. Umi, Honoka, and Kotoni; and their freaky eyes. Their freaky, soulless eyes. They're nice and cute, but they're eyes are very scary. And they also talk about Snow Vadar. Darth Vader and his Storm Trooper buddies, made out of 
ice/snow. I already put that up on my Facebook page, and I'll carry on putting stuff up over 
the month. 
Final story, not so much snow festival, but Sapporo. A social network site for ramen. Some 
guy, he got annoyed about moving away from Hokkaido where they make the best miso 
ramen. He moved down Tokyo way, couldn't find good ramen, so he set up a social 
networking site about where to find good ramen and stuff. When I was in New Zealand I had miso ramen. It was awful. Sorry ramen restaurant if you're listening. It was awful, but you 
don't have the ingredients they have here; but I'll never have it again in New Zealand. 
Thank you very much. Sorry about all the sound. I think it's the fan on my computer. I'll work that out. OK, bye.