Follow Vocab Voyage on RSS!

Thursday, 5 February 2015

(with script) 家庭用ロボットー2015年ラスベガスにおける家電見本市、ロボットは危険か否か、日本の銀行におけるロボット



I hope you enjoyed my photos of the Sapporo Snow Festival. I posted a link to them on the blog yesterday. Do have a look. It's all pretty cool.

Today, Home Robots. Have a watch of the video. I seem to have fixed the sound issues I had yesterday.

The links to the Home Robot Word list and Vocab YouTube clip are here, as is the article I got the words from. If you are watching on a computer, all the example sentences I read out are subtitled at the bottom. Can't see it on phones. I know iPhone just doesn't do it, and Android - I just don't know. Sorry.

TRANSCRIPT

I am having so much trouble doing this recording today. First I did the whole recording then 
realised I didn't have the microphone on, got halfway through last time then the connection 
dropped. If I had enough hair I'd pull it. 
Home Robots. Let's talk about the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. It's the big one each year where they release all the new gizmos and gadgets and toys. This year 
there are a dozen firms promoting home robots; including a Korean firm that has a robot that can take verbal instruction, can turn off the lights, turn on the heat, turn down the music, 
teach your kids. What else it can do is health monitoring. That's good for old people, and it 
can also act as a reminding thing. It can remind grandma to wake up, 'Grandma, wake up!', 
'Take your medicine!', 'Eat your breakfast!', 'Have a nap!'; and maybe talk to her like a 
companion, which is the goal in the future. 
One thing which made me very happy about this article was a Ukrainian start up robotic firm.This makes me happy because all I hear is bad news out of Ukraine lately, and this is nice 
because it shows me that it's still going on in Ukraine, which is nice. 
The last robot, the Garden Bot. The Garden Bot is in charge of watering your garden. It 
knows how much water each plant needs, so it gives it the right amount. It knows the 
weather, so maybe if there's an 80% chance of rain coming a bit later it'll hold off - wait, wait,wait, wait, wait - if it rains, save water. Didn't give the plants too much. 
So home robots are all good. There's the old argument in the next article about killers or 
home helpers. Robots are getting very clever. They've already designed robots that can do a cycle of laundry. They are designing robots that can check your kid's homework and mark 
essays better than a human teacher can. Driverless cars. Driverless cars, they could be the next big thing. Think about parking. You drive your car into town, what do you have to do? 
You have to find a carpark for it. A lot of the time it's expensive. A lot of the time there isn't 
one there. A driverless can drop you in town, drop you at work or shopping; drive back homeagain, or drive somewhere where it can stay; and then come and pick you up again. Nice. 
Even in the future with supermarkets, whatever they'll be then, maybe while you're shopping it can go to the supermarket, pick up the groceries; and when it picks you up all the groceriesare in the car. How easy. 
But robots, artificial intelligence, if they get too clever what's going to happen? Stephen 
Hawking is worried about it as well as some other very clever people. At the moment the 
problem with war robots is when they have to make decisions. If for example a war robot 
sees a little kid walking towards the front line, is the kid lost or is it a suicide bomber? The 
robot can't yet compute, so maybe it'll shoot an innocent child. So we've still got to be very 
careful. 
Finally, Mitsubishi UFJ Finance Group, they have introduced a robot called Nao. Nao has 
four microphones, touch sensors, speaks nineteen languages, and can read facial 
expressions. And is from the same maker as Pepper. Now I'm going to talk about Pepper in another video because Pepper's amazing. 
With these home robots, there's just so much information. So Mitsubishi UFJ, they'll do awaywith bank tellers and bring in robots. What do you think? I always like a pretty bank teller to help me out. 
OK. Thanks for listening. Goodbye.